Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Classic Love


I was on the subway this morning, crammed inside the train with all the other 9-5 commuters, when I saw something that put a smile on my face. An elderly man leaned forward and kissed his wife on the forehead and then put his arm around her back. It was such a simple gesture of love but because they were an older couple, it had a deeper meaning to it. I imagined that they've been together for many years; throughs ups and downs, lost jobs and new jobs, apartments to houses, children growing into adults and eventually having children of their own.

At that moment I hoped for myself that I would be able to have that with Office Groom. Sometimes we get so caught up on planning this one day, that we forget what it's really all about - a lifetime of companionship, compromise, and love.

Witnessing that simple gesture this morning reminded me of my new all time fave move - "UP." If you haven't seen it yet, I strongly urge you to rent it tonight! My co-worker watched it with her husband the other day after I told her about it, and she came to work the next day with nothing but good things to say about it. For anyone who has had love for a long time, or is on their way to having one, this is the movie for you. While it will have you in tears within the first ten minutes of the film, it says a lot about the special bond that you build with your significant other.

Back to that couple from this morning. I wish them many more years of love and happiness, and thank them for proving that love can last :)



Photo from Felixsaysno

1 comment: