Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The great Honeymoon debate

When...where...which one...and how long? A lot more questions to answer than I thought with regards to our honeymoon. Who knew picking out a destination would be so difficult? Office Groom and I have never had this much trouble with previous trips (Mexico, Germany, Switzerland - to new a few) so why now?

Because it's a honeymoon. And like a wedding, the moment you attach a certain name to something, it feels different. Even though it's really not that much different.

So here are the issues. My holidays work a bit differently from most other companies, including Office Grooms. Instead of January to the following January, my holidays start from September. We also have a "use 'em or lose 'em" policy, so I have to put on my math hat and try to figure out how to divvy up days. On the plus side, I get an entire week off during Christmas in addition to my 3 weeks. So when we decided that we would wait to go on our honeymoon in December, we though we had it aaaallllll figured out.

Oh. Wait. Someone (me) forgot that prices are jacked up during the festive season.

D'oh.

Plus, a few of the adventure trips we're really interested in would require us to leave on Christmas day.

Double D'oh.

There was also the option of going to an all-inclusive during that time, but I gotta be honest about something. Two weeks on a resort is a bit much for me. While I enjoy the lazy days on the beach, I love adventure, and I know that I'd start to feel closed in if I didn't get out enough. And before you point out that countries like Mexico or Cuba have plenty of activities outside of the resort - I know. Office Groom and I have been to both places. I know it's silly but I always imagined that a honeymoon should be somewhere new and exotic. Not familiar.

So - ok. The debate is mostly coming from my end, I'll admit it. And while it's easy to point out that I know that this is just another awesome trip with OG, the "H" word haunts my mind and is affecting the way I'm thinking through this whole thing! With less than 6 months left, I feel like we need to figure this out soon, but I can't make my mind up on anything! Gah!

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure whatever you guys decide to do, you will have fun! Have you considered maybe staying one week at one place, and another week someplace else? It could help offset the being closed in feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're having the same problem. Deciding where to honeymoon is TOUGH!

    ReplyDelete