Friday, July 16, 2010

The Dreaded Aisle Walk


Our church is big. And I mean traditional Roman Catholic BIG. So the thought of having to walk down the aisle which feels infinitely long makes me a tad nervous. My mom, bless her, she means well, suggested that I walk on my own half way, and then meet her and my dad to walk the rest of the way. "I saw it done in another wedding and it looked beautiful" she reasoned. Riiiight. While I'm all up theatrics and choreography, there's no way I'm walking on my own for any length of time!

So I respectfully exnayed that idea and told her we were doing it the good ol' fashion way. That way I will have the support (literally. I don't think I'll be able to hold myself up on my own) of my parents as I make my way down to join my future husband.

Here's the other thing. The church may be huge, but the number of guests is not. So unless we keep the doors open and invite homeless people to join in and fill in the back rows, we're only going to fill the first three rows of the church.

Great.

The irony to all this is that being a stage performer, I never have a problem being the center of attention, as long as I'm not being me. So the idea of all eyes on me as me is really weird and intimidating! If there was some way that my parents and I could sprint up until we hit the first row of guests, that'd be awesome. But highly unlikely.

Looks like I'm gonna suck it up and find a way to hold my head up, and the rest of my body for this friggin' walk...

3 comments:

  1. You know, I was slightly worried about that as well, the church not being super full. But then I remembered that none of the church weddings that I've been to have filled the entire sanctuary, simply because they're usually just . . . well . . . rather large!

    I'm actually looking forward to the aisle walk; I have the opposite problem as you! I'd rather my dad walk me a bit, then I walk the rest of the way to himself up front. OR if it was really long, I'd walk with daddy, then myself, and then himself and I could finish the rest of the way. But alas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can rent curtains- if you wanted to split up the space, you could even do that fancy uplighting thing! or you could rope off the outside edges of the seats so you have people seated more up the center.

    I had a full house since my venue was really small, and I think some people wished they could see better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you. Our aisle is soooo long. I've walked it as a bridesmaid before, but I'm kinda freaked out about having to trekk down it with my Dad without passing out.

    ReplyDelete