Tuesday, January 12, 2010

DIY Shoe Clips - Fit for a Princess

I love Etsy for the same reason as most others; because of all the great one-of-a-kind items you can find, created by very talented artists. But I think I love the arts n' crafts site more for all the ideas it gives me for my own DIY projects.

Yes ladies, I admit it. I am a "Getsy" artist - Getting ideas from the site and trying them out on my own, lol.

When I first started doing my research on pizazzy shoes, the idea of shoe clips came up. "Brilliant," I thought. Shoe clips meant that I could get a great pair of reusable shoes, and give them a little something extra for the big day.

Naturally, I started perusing through Etsy for shoe clips and was happy to find a great selection - everything from rhinestones, to feathers, to fabric flowers. LOVE IT. I ended up going with a seller who was able to create my perfect pair (and matching hair clip) to the T - but I was curious to see if I could make another pair on my own, just for the hell of it.

$16 dollars later - I ended up with this:



(I couldn't help it. I had to take it with my Prince Charles / Princess Diana tin box, LOL)

Not too shabby, if I say so myself! Granted, it helps that I paired them up with a fabulous pair of Guess shoes, but they make a huge difference!

Interested in making a pair for yourself? Here are the deets. Note that I bought all of my materal at a bead store on Queen W, Toronto, so prices will vary, but you can find all of them through Etsy supplies sellers.

MATERIAL
- 6-8 feathers (PLUMULE, Etsy)


- Pair of shoe clips (themyseticalgarden, Etsy)


- Pack of large rhinestones (Toffeehouse, Etsy)


- Pack of small rhinestones (Twinkledropz)


- Glue gun and glue sticks ($8)

- Cardboard or felt

INSTRUCTIONS:

- Glue small rhinestones all around one large rhinestone. Allow glue to dry completely.
- Glue 3-4 feather on the back of the large rhinestone. Make sure they are places in slightly different directions. Allow glue to dry completely.
- Glue small piece of cardboard or felt on the back of the large rhinestone. Allow glue to dry completely.
- Glue completed piece to shoe clip - make sure that it is placed on the very bottom edge of shoe clip, otherwise the spring mechanism will not work properly.
- One clipe done! On to the next one!!
- Best part is, if you bough material in bulk, you can make more!

Soon you will find yourself with (hopefully) a shnazzy pair of shoe clips which you can pair up with any shoes, for any occasion you see fit!

Happy crafting!

1 comment:

  1. Very cute!!!!

    **Beauty, love, frugality www.mochafrugalista.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete