Thursday, February 25, 2010

We got paper!

Now what?

Ever have one of those moments when you feel really inspired to undertake a DIY project and then you go out and get all the necessary tools and materials, only to get back home and look at all the stuff you just bought and think those two dreaded words - "Now what?"

That's what I went through after the Office Groom and I returned from a visit to The Paper Place.

Early on in the engagement (Ok, who am I kidding? It was like 2 days after he proposed) I knew that I wanted to make our invitations. After a bit of internet research, I found my inspiration. I loved how unique and personal it was, and it was totally something that OG and I would do. So I did what any creative but lazy person would do - I used the same template and made a story of our own.

Because of the length of the invite, I knew that we wouldn't be using the usual 4x4 invite and envelope. I entertained the idea of using a regualr 8x10 sheet and cutting it in half, but that lazy side of me kicked in again and I realized I was better off buying pre-cut paper. Enter the "Tea Length" paper and envelope.



So I've got a design and paper. You think it'd be just as easy as printing those suckers off, labelling the envelopes, stickin' a stamp on, and sending them on their merry way.

Nope.

While I'm lazy, I'm also detail oriented. The thought of just sending the invites as is without any doodads to spice it up didn't sit well with me. Hence our visit to The Paper Place. The name of the store speaks for itself - if you need paper, and I'm talkin' any kind of paper, this is the place to check out. OG and I agreed that a little something added to the invite and envelope with a pretty paper would do jsut the thing. The employees were really nice and helpful and helped us narrow down our choices.



Or so we thought.

When we got home I started playing around with the different paper, and I just wasn't feeling it. Either it was too much or not enough, and I started to get frustrated too early in the game. So I put it away.

I know this isn't the ending you were looking for. You wanted to know what we decided on and what the end result was, right? Sorry, no dice. This is the real world, and I'm a real bride, and fact remains that I wasn't very successful with my first attempt at making our DIY invites a reality.

BUT - we're not giving up. This was of course, our first try. Although we are definitely still going with the design and ivory tea length paper, the doodas will have to wait. And I'll be sure to post more when it happens I'm just glad that we gave it a try before buying a whole bunch of paper that would go to waste (or used for numerous origami projects).

No comments:

Post a Comment