Thursday, March 11, 2010

Inspired during my lunch break...

Another warm day in Toronto, and I couldn't NOT be outside at some point in the day! Just before lunch there was an office baby shower, and after refusing a slice of oh-so-tempting banana chocolate cake, I was feeling pretty empowered and thought a walk outside for lunch was in order.

Since Office Groom started his new job, his office is just a 15 minute stroll from mine, so I thought I would pay him a surprise visit. I grabbed some street meat (that's Toronto talk for a hot dog from a street vendor) along the way and made my way down to the lake. Yup, his office overlooks Lake Ontario, lucky bum. Unfortunately as I was heading down, I realized I didn't have my phone (so I couldn't call him in advance) and when I did get there, I learned that he wasn't even in the office. Geez.

Yup, so it's suffice to say that I'm not very good with surprises :) However, the walk wasn't a complete waste. First off, it's beautiful outside, and that's enough of a reason for me to be out and about. Secondly, I happen to have my camera on me, so I took a quick snapshot of the waterfront:



Although this photo doesn't do our lakeside any justice, it suddenly occured to me that this was where I wanted our wedding photography to take place. Office Groom had been real gung-ho about the Distillery District for the last few months. Although it's a beautiful area, we both checked it out last weekend and we realized it just wasn't us.

Doing it by the lake was another idea we both had, and after my walk today, I was certain this was where we should do it. I retutned to the office feeling energized and proactive, so I did a quick websearch to find out about permits for wedding photography. Guess what? No permits are required at Harbourfront as long as it's outside! Zing!

I just had a quick call with OG and he's all for it! Double Zing!

If you happen to be in the Toronto area, and are intersted in locations that don't require permits, here's are a few suggestions:

Cherry Beach, Toronto
Features: Situated on Lake Ontario (East end of Toronto), featuring Sandy beach, wooded areas and a boardwalk.
Location: at the south end of Cherry St.

Humber Bridge, Etobicoke
Features: Situated on Lake Ontario (West end of Toronto), featuring sandy beach, parkland & trees, and walkways
Location: Lakeshore Rd. and South Kingsway

Front Street/Esplanade area, Toronto
Features: Nice architecture, shops and outdoor cafes, greenspace with flowers and water fountain.
Location: Front St. & Market St.

Harbourfront, Toronto
Features: Toronto’s newest waterfront park.
Location: South side of Queen’s Quay Blvd. West (between Spadina Avenue and Bathurst Street)
Phone: 416.392.1111

Alsol most outdoor public area in Toronto do not require a permit, but it's always safe to check beforehand. If you're not from the Toronto area, check out your municipal website for information on permits.

More details to come as we confirm locations!

No comments:

Post a Comment