Monday, April 19, 2010

From the Desk of... Julie


I.T. by day. Icing by night. Meet Julie, one of my co-workers who's a whiz with both computers and cake flour. Julie has quite a reputation at work for her delicious (and beautifully decorated) baked goods, and it's always a good day when she brings in samples for everyone in the office to taste test. And without fail, every sample I've ever had is absolutely delicious - which is why I asked her to do our wedding cupcakes! I love that she has a good balance between work and play, and I asked her a bit more about it...

How did you get involved in making cakes?
I started taking classes at Michael’s craft store.

Who are your culinary idols?
I was able to meet and take a class from Bronwen Webber which was amazing! Lorraine McKay does wonderful figures and I am looking forward to taking a class in July. She is coming all the way from Scotland! I am also addicted to Bakerella.


Source


How do you juggle between your day job and your passion?
I really enjoy my full time job in IT - now I have a day timer that allows me to schedule my time. It's all about organization but I could not do it without my Mom. She does all the baking. Just love her.

Source


What is the hardest cake that you’ve made?
My first tiered cake was hard because I was so afraid it was going to fall over. Now it is like "You want 10 tiers? Bring it on!!!"


Source


What is your favourite flavor / type of cake?
Chocolate with whipped chocolate ganache filling. There is this chocolate mud cake that is making a splash in North America coming from Australia and I cannot wait to try and make that! Maybe there might be some taste testers at work?

(Hells, yeah! Sign me up!)

For more photos of Julie's fabulous work, check out her Flickr site!

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow! Those are beautiful!
    P.S Come on over and check out my shoe giveaway!

    ReplyDelete