Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Made With Love

This past weekend my mom and I went to Montreal, my birthplace and childhood home, to visit my grandmother. I really wanted to see my grandmother before the wedding, since she will not be able to attend due to her physical condition. It was so nice to spend time with her, and at 90 years old, she is as quick as she ever was :)

Another reason for the visit was so that she could help make our ring pillow. My grandmother was an amazing seamstress in her younger years, and I have her to thank for all the many beautiful dresses and awesome Halloween costumes I had when I was a kid. Thankfully her hands and eyes are still very strong, so she was able to be a part of the wedding in a small but meaningful way.





There were moments of nostalgia, sitting with my mom and grandmother while they sewed and spoke in filipino, their native language. It reminded me when I was a kid sitting by them, anxiously waiting for my new custom made outfit to be ready to wear :)

I'm admittedly sad that she can't be there on the big day. She has been a HUGE part of my life, practically a second mother who raised me. But I can also understand that travelling such a far distance would not be easy for her, and I wouldn't want to put her through that. I'm just so happy that I could spend that time with her, and on the big day when our little ring bearer walks down the aisle, he will be holding a token of my grandma's love in his hands :)



1 comment:

  1. Your grandma is so cute! It is also really sweet that you will be able to have something made by her on your wedding day! I had a picture from my grandmas wedding on my bouquet!

    ReplyDelete