Friday, February 5, 2010

I'm officially an Adult

Today, after work, the Office Groom and I will be meeting up with my mum to officially enter the world of adulthood.

That's right. We're shopping for Fine China today.

If you had a similar childhood, you'll remember your parents pulling out a beautiful set of dinnerware during the holidays. They were stored for most of the year in the china cabinet, along with all those crytals bowls and candle holders that were also rarely used.

When my mum first brought up the idea of China, I didn't think much of it. O.G. and I live in a modest rental apartment so there isn't really any room to store or display (do couples my age even have china cabinets?!), and we don't have fancy shmancy dinners at our place very often (does a Crockpot dinner count?). It also didn't seem very practical keeping a set of plates that would only be used once or twice a year. We've been eating of Ikea plates and we haven't noticed any difference in the quality of our meals :)

However, my mum pushed the idea, ensuring us that some day when we owned our own place and had our own family, we would find a use for it.

I let the idea sink in for a while, and I gotta admit - I got more and more excited about owning our own set of Fine China. SOUND THE ALARM! The Office Bride said WHAT?! Honestly, it was the flashbacks of my childhood that sold it for me. I can recall admiring the Old Country Rose pattern on my mum's Royal Doulton plates and feeling...well...very much like Royalty eating off of them.



While I love the pattern and secretly hope that we'll end up picking a set from Royal Doulton, it's just not us. I had a look at the Royal Doulton site today, and they have a great selection of plates that are a bit more modern but still classic and timeless. Yay! So this evening, I embrace my new badge of adulthood, and will enjoy picking out a set of fancy shmancy dinnerware with O.G. I also look forward to eating off our Fine China in about 5 years when we can actually use them :)

2 comments:

  1. Yaaaay! Have fun with that! We had the discussion about whether to register for china or not. My mom is giving me the set that she was gifted when she married my dad, so we have that and a set of really beautiful dishes that I bought while I was single years ago. Still, I loved looking at patterns and trying to find one that we really liked. And yes, some of us have china cabinets - I have my grandmother's! :D

    Anyway, have fun picking out your china and please share which pattern you guys chose! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow that china is beautiful.
    Glad I came across your blog. LOVE a wedding blog.
    x

    ReplyDelete