Monday, March 1, 2010

Micro Managing (a wedding, that is)

When the wedding planning began, one (unsurprising) quality about myself became very apparent: I like to plan.

Parties. Dinners. Shows. Outtings. I like to plan 'em all whether it's for myself or someone else.

However, with a love for planning comes one slight drawback - I like to control.


Source


I can't help it. I get this idea in my head and I am determined to get it done myself. Not that I don't trust the opinion or talents of others - far from it! But I like the doing part of it. I consider myself a jack of all trades (master of none) and I love the satisfaction of completing a task.

The thing is, when the Office Groom and I decided that we wouldn't be having a small wedding, I knew that doing everything on my own would be impossible. Once that realization sunk in, we worked out a To Do list to divvy up the tasks. And - so far so good! We have rarely stepped on each other's toes but have always made sure to keep the other one in the loop. This, however, doesn't mean that I won't have a post in the future about all the silly squabbles we've had over the last year and a half of planning :)

The real challenge for me was how to let someone other than myself or OG do something for us. Working with professionals is one thing, but having a friend or family take on something is something else.

And after a few admitted slips on my part, I drew these conclusions:

- Ask them to do something they're good at. Your friends and family or more likly to get the job done and do it well if they themselves enjoy the task and have knack for it. If your MOH has never stepped foot into a kitchen, you probably don't want to ask her to make 150 cupcakes for your guests.

- Don't micro manage. If you truly can not let a friend or family member do the job without micro managing then either get a pro do it, do it yourself. Remember - they are doing YOU the favour, so ease up! Checking in every so often is fine. Breathing down their neck as they make your bouquet, is not.

- Be realistic with your requests. If it's a big job, get more than one person to help out. Folding 200 origami Swans needs many skilled hands.

- Know your place in the wedding planning. The day itself is all yours to plan. However, Bachlorette parties, Jack and Jill's, wedding showers, are not. While you can certainly hint that you would like or not like any one of these (or all) and provide a guest list, the actual planning is not up to you. It should be the honour of your Maid of Honour to plan this for you with the help of others. As is the case for the Best Man - he is what he is because he's the best man for the job :)

- When all else fails, remember that you have a whole slew of other brides to vent with at the hive!


No comments:

Post a Comment