Monday, April 5, 2010

Religion & Young Adults


Two things that don't seem to mesh very well together these days. When I think of all of my skeptic and/or agnostic friends, it makes me realize that there's a huge lack of faith in religion among young people. And for good reasons, when you think of all the crazy messed up things that happen behind closed doors, the constant wars between groups of different faiths, and the extremists who either knock at your door every other day or preach (a.k.a. yell) on street corners.

I know that my opening paragraph might lose some readers for me, but there's a twist to all this.

While I can understand why people would either lose faith or not have any to begin with when it comes to religion - I still consider myself a spiritual person with religious beliefs.

I grew up Roman Catholic, attending church every Sunday with my mom when I was kid. In high school, I got away with joining the choir in an attempt to entertain myself (and the congregation) instead of possibly falling asleep in a pew. In university, life got hectic with work and school, and I attended church less frequently, and even less frequent once I joined the "real world." But nonetheless, I continued to pray (when I felt like it, not out of obligation) and attended mass for special occassion like Christmas and Easter.

However, despite all the years of practicing the same faith, I find that it's difficult to be honest about it or even talk about it openly, being a young adult living in a modern society. Skeptics seem to have no trouble sharing their opinions, usually because they back up their arguments with logic. But faith isn't about logic, or at least it isn't for me. It is what it is, and it's in the very core of who I am. So how do I reason with skeptics that my beliefs are based on just that - simply believing.

I bring this all up because Office Groom and I went to church yesterday for Easter - the same church where we will be getting married. We've heard a few jokes about getting married in a church, and while we've always laughed it off, a part of me can't help but feel like I should stand up for our decision. I don't ever want to make any conversation awkward, but I need to find a balance between being a modern woman and a spiritual person.

The one idea that comes to mind is to simply not say anything at all, when people are making jokes. I'm not one for preaching, it's just not my style, but at the very least I would know that I wasn't part of a conversation that contridicts my beliefs. And maybe those around me would start to notice and stop poking fun.

At least, that's my hope.

Photo from Source

1 comment:

  1. I'm an atheist but I never, ever talk religion with anyone except my fiance. We've had to have a couple awkward conversations related to the wedding, but aside from that we just never bring it up. We greatly respect those of all religions and don't want personal beliefs to get in the way of that mutual respect.

    ReplyDelete